Many professional Fortnite players are playing on custom resolutions and most often a 4:3 stretched resolution. In this article, we are going to explain how you can make your own custom resolutions and how you can play on a stretched resolution in Fortnite. Also, we are going to explain the necessary changes for Nvidia and AMD graphics card to work with stretched resolutions.
POPULAR CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS
Which resolutions you must play on is the next question. It is not as simple as “choosing stretched resolution”, you are going to have to decide on the exact resolution you want. In the text below, we have some of the most popular choices among professional Fortnite players.
- 1024×768 Stretched
- 1280×960 Stretched
- 1280×1024 Stretched
- 1440×1080 Stretched
- 1600 x 1080 stretched
The lower the resolution you select, so the higher the FPS you should expect.
HOW TO CONFIGURE STRETCHED RESOLUTION IN FORTNITE
You are able to start by setting your in-game Window Mode to Fullscreen. This is very important and your custom resolution will not work otherwise. At this time, you have to change your Fortnite config file named “GameUserSettings.ini”.
- At the first step, you have to pess Windows Key + R to open Run.
- After that, you are able to type in %localappdata% in the search bar and hit Enter.
- Please navigate to the GameUserSettings.ini: FortniteGame -> Saved -> Config -> WindowsClient.
- Then, you are able to open GameUserSettings.ini in a text editor.
Now, you are going to need to change the following lines in GameUserSettings:
Please change the X and Y resolution to your desired custom resolution and save the file.
Depending on your graphics card is from NVIDIA or AMD, you have to make some additional changes. Look at the following section for more info.
STRETCHED RES: NVIDIA SETTINGS
If you have an Nvidia video card, you will be able to change your resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel as well. Usually, you are able to find the NVIDIA Control Panel by right-clicking on your desktop and then it should be in the pop-up menu. When you are in the Control Panel you have to change resolution:
- Please click on Change Resolution.
- Select one of the predefined resolutions or create your own custom resolution.
- Then, you are able to click on Customize…
- You have to check the Enable resolutions not exposed by display.
- Click Create Custom Resolution.
- Now, you have to set the Horizontal pixels and Vertical lines to your desired resolution.
- Click Test.
- If everything is OK your new resolution is made and you are able to check it. Click OK
- Click Apply.
STRETCHED RES: AMD SETTINGS
As with NVIDIA, you need to make a custom resolution in your AMD Radeon settings.
- Please open your AMD Radeon Settings.
- After that, you have to click Display.
- Then, you need to click on Create next to Custom Resolution.
- Now, you are able to type in the Horizontal Resolution and Vertical Resolution.
- Please Save it.
- Afterwards, you are able to right-click on your desktop and click Display settings.
- Lastly, you are able to choose the custom resolution you just created and click Keep changes.